Since my last etched bracelet is reserved for a “potential” customer, I felt the need to make another one. This one is just one sold piece – I just wanted to etch a design to see how it would turn out.
I usually start by sketching ideas in my cheap, ruled notebook and see what evolves.
So with my sharpie marker, I decided to omit the flowers for now and draw just the vines and leaves. I added some spiral “tendrils” to fill up space and inked the whole design directly onto a piece of copper sheet I had cut to 6 1/4″ long and 1 1/4″ wide.
I rounded all the corners by cutting a tiny triangular piece and filing them down smooth, then prepared a bath with Ferric Chloride using packing tape on the back and letting it sit for about 50 minutes. I didn’t take a photo before putting it away because I’m paranoid about leaving chemicals around and simply forgot . We have a curious cat and three dogs (as well as a parrot and a Bearded Dragon).
After rinsing the piece to remove all chemicals, I “sanded” it with #0000 steel wool and dipped it in Liver of Sulfur. I sanded it again to remove most of the LOS and left just enough patina.
I put the cuff to be on my step mandrel and pounded it carefully with my cheap, little rubber mallet to shape it into an oval.