This post is a lot more introspective than any I’ve written to date. It has nothing to do with jewelry making. It’s about this weekend’s storm, Sandy.
While feeling “inconvenienced” by the long, intermittent, loss of electrical power, I kept telling myself it could be worse. There are many here on Long Island who’ve evacuated their homes, whose houses and streets are flooded and who have suffered some medical emergency. Some experience all of this alone. We at least, were all together and in relatively good health. All our pets were OK despite a terrible scare.
While attempting to set up a generator in the backyard, my husband must have spilled some gasoline. We thought little about it other than the smell. Our older dog, Balto, a large Malamute/Husky mix suddenly developed a spasm-like, seizure that made him kick out one of his hind legs. He was extremely agitated and would not stop moving throughout the house, crying.
At first, I thought it was a partial, epilepsy-like seizure, something caught in his paw or perhaps an arthritic condition causing him sudden stiffening and pain. He was getting worse quickly with both hind legs were now failing him. I was very worried; his constant, restlessness was accompanied by whining and panting. I feared the worse. Not knowing what else to do at that moment, I gave him a chamomile capsule (to calm him) wrapped in peanut butter and called our local animal hospital. They were only open to take calls and referred me to a few local emergency veterinary clinics that might be open despite the storm.
We called and were about to go to one of them when my daughter, Sam (who had complained about the smell of gasoline entering the house) noticed our other dog, Yuki beginning to show similar symptoms. She immediately leashed both dogs and took them outside in the storm. My husband accompanied her. I grabbed the third dog, Annie. Almost immediately, Balto’s gait became normal again and he stopped whining. Yuki looked fine and Annie, who had shown no negative symptoms, was simply annoyed to be out in the storm. When we returned from the walk, everyone went inside the RV we have parked outside and I opened the windows in the house to let in the fresh, turbulent, stormy air.
Apparently, my dogs were exposed to the poisonous fumes emitted by the gasoline. Still worried about any after effects, Sam called the veterinary clinic to ask if there was anything we should do now telling the assistant about the gasoline poisoning. The less than brilliant veterinary assistant said “Oh no, gasoline won’t bother them”. So glad we didn’t go there!!
Our electricity came and went, sometimes for hours at a time. But we were blessed. We had it long enough to have hot food and coffee, the temperature outside was relatively warm. The animals in the house were now calm and behaving normally. Although the streets and houses were all in darkness and the sirens from fire engine vehicles, ambulance and police could be heard all around us, we were fine. We watched dvd’s on a laptop and I still played with jewelry under candles and flashlights.
I will remember this storm and be thankful for our blessings and I will think of those who were not as fortunate.